Lund University was founded in 1666 and is regularly ranked as one of the world’s top 100 higher education institutions. The University has 41 000 students and 7 500 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Primary biological aerosol particles (PBAPs) are emitted from vegetated land surfaces. Many of these natural particles are submicron in size and are ubiquitous in the atmosphere, especially over continental regions. They influence the observed properties and precipitation of glaciated clouds. The linkage between PBAPs and cold clouds will be investigated with this position by applying a numerical model.
The work will involve numerical modelling and laboratory observations:
• Samples of bio-aerosols from Brazil will be analysed in our laboratories with microbiological and molecular-biological techniques.
• Our cloud models will be improved so as to resolve the ice-nucleus (IN) and cloud-condensation nucleus (CCN) activity of each type of PBAPs.
• Individual clouds will be simulated by our aerosol-cloud models, with analysis of the effects from the various types of PBAPs.
• The applicant must have a PhD degree in Meteorology.
• Candidates must have a BSc degree in Physics or a similar area, in addition to the PhD degree.
• Candidates must have experience with programming languages in a UNIX environment, such as FORTRAN or C.
It is desirable that candidates have examined proficiency, preferably from their university education, in:
Experience in optical or electron microscopy and knowledge of microbiology would be advantageous.
Scientists with a strong background in numerical modeling, with knowledge of mesoscale meteorology, are encouraged to apply.
In their applications, candidates should provide evidence for how they meet these requirements.
1 year employment with the possibility of a total of 3 years depending on progress and budget. At the end of each year, the results are to be summarised in a written report by the researcher.
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Contract type||Full time|
|First day of employment||According to agreement|
|Number of positions||1|
|Last application date||02.Mar.2017 11:59 PM CET|